- Curriculum Vitae (July 2017).
- Research interests:
Fluid dynamics. Geophysical and astrophysical sciences. Singular limit problems in nonlinear PDEs. Numerical analysis and scientific computing. Kinetic formulation. Mathematical Physics in connection with these areas.
- Job Opening
- Workshop. "Coupling moist convection and large scale dynamics in numerical weather prediction models".
(move mouse over [...] to show abstract)
-  B. Cheng, P. Qu and C. Xie, Singularity formation and global existence of classical solutions for one dimensional rotating shallow water system. submitted (2017)
-  B. Cheng, C. Tronci and E. Süli, Existence of global weak solutions to a hybrid Vlasov-MHD model for magnetized plasmas. Proceedings of London Mathematical Society, 2017 (PLMS). doi:10.1112/plms.12053
-  B. Cheng, J. Cheng, M. Cullen, J. Norbury and M. Turner, A rigorous treatment of moist convection in a single column. to appear in SIAM J. on Mathematical Analysis, 2017 (SIMA).
-  B. Cheng and A. Mahalov, Time-averages of fast oscillatory systems in three-dimensional geophysical fluid dynamics and electromagnetic effects. to appear in Zonal Jets: Phenomenology, Genesis, Physics, eds. Boris Galperin and Peter L. Read, Cambridge University Press (2016)
-  B. Cheng, Improved accuracy of incompressible approximation of compressible Euler equations. SIAM J. on Mathematical Analysis, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 3838-3864, 2014 (SIMA). doi:10.1137/140955173
-  B. Cheng and A. Mahalov, Euler equations on a fast rotating sphere --- time-averages and zonal flows. European J. Mech. - B/Fluids, vol. 37, pp. 48-58, 2013 (E.J.Mech.-B). doi:10.1016/j.euromechflu.2012.06.001
B. Cheng and A. Mahalov, Time averages of fast oscillatory systems. Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems - Series S, vol. 6, pp. 1151-1162 2013 (DCDS-S). doi:10.3934/dcdss.2013.6.1151
-  B. Cheng, Singular limits and convergence rates of compressible Euler and rotating shallow water equations. SIAM J. on Mathematical Analysis, vol. 44, pp. 1050-1076, 2012 (SIMA). Referee(s)' remarks. doi:10.1137/11085147X
-  B. Cheng and C. Xie, On the classical solutions of two dimensional rotating shallow water system. J. Differential Equations vol. 250, 690-709, 2011 (JDE). doi:10.1016/j.jde.2010.09.017
-  B. Cheng and E. Tadmor, Approximate periodic solutions for the rapidly rotating shallow-water and related equations. Water waves: theory and experiment -- Proc. of the conference, 69-78, World Scientific Pub. Co. Inc., 2010.
-  B. Cheng and E. Tadmor, An improved local blow-up condition for Euler-Poisson equations with attractive forcing, Physica D, vol. 238, pp. 2062-2066, 2009 (Phys. D). doi:10.1016/j.physd.2009.08.008
-  B. Cheng, Multiscale dynamics of 2D rotational compressible Euler equations. Hyperbolic problems: theory, numerics and applications, 497-506,
Proc. Sympos. Appl. Math., 67, Part 2, Amer. Math. Soc., 2009.
-  B. Cheng and E. Tadmor, Long time existence of smooth solutions for rapidly rotating shallow-water equations and Euler equations. SIAM J. on Mathematical Analysis, vol. 39, pp. 1668-1685, 2008 (SIMA). doi:10.1137/070693643
- Unpublished Work
- MAT2001, Numerical and Computational Methods, Spring 2014.
Teaching materials on SurreyLearn virtual learning environment.
- Past course webpages.
2012 is Alan Turing Year
2013 is Year of Mathematics of Planet Earth